• One should be in the state of Wudū.
Qāḍī ‘Iyāḍ reports in ash-Shifā that Aḥmad ibn Fazlawiyya possessed the bow of our Master ﷺ. He said,
“I have never touched this bow with my hands expect with Wudū since I learnt that the Prophet ﷺ held this bow with his hand.”
• One should display humbleness and humility.
• One should read Salat-us-Salam upon our Master ﷺ as much as possible.
• One should not turn his back towards the blessed hairs.
• One certainly should not raise his voice.
The Companions attached value and importance to his ﷺ blessed and beautiful hairs:
Imam al-Bukhārī reports in his Ṣaḥīḥ that Ibn Sirīn once told Ubayda: “We have some hairs of the
Prophet ﷺ that we attained from ‘Anas (may Allah be pleased with him).” Ubayda replied:
“Possessing one hair of the Prophet ﷺ would be more dear and valuable to me than the entire world and all of its contents.”
(Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī. Book of Ablution #165.)
They would seek Shifā (cure) from his ﷺ hairs:
Umm Salma (may Allah be pleased with her) possessed some blessed hairs of the Prophet ﷺ. When people were ill or affected by the evil eye, then they would come to her with water in a basin. She would then dip the blessed hairs of the Prophet ﷺ in the water. They would then drink this water or bathe from it as a means of shifa.
(Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī. Book of Clothes #5446.)
The Companions seeking barakah from the blessed hairs:
• Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) requested to be buried with the blessed hairs of the noble Prophet ﷺ under his tongue.
(Tabarruk al-Sahaba bi Athar RasulAllah pp. 16 Maktaka al-Qahira Publications, Cairo. 1997).
• Mu’awiya (may Allah be pleased with him) possessed the blessed shirt, nails and hairs of the beloved Prophet ﷺ. He asked to be buried with these relics. When he made this bequest he remarked, ‘If anything will benefit me [in the grave], then these relics will.’
(Tabarruk al-Sahaba bi Athar RasulAllah pp. 24 Maktaka al-Qahira Publications, Cairo. 1997).
• Ahmad ibn Hanbal (may Allah be pleased with him) had three blessed hairs from the blessed body of the Prophet ﷺ. He requested to be buried with one placed on his mouth and the other two on each eye.
(Tabarruk al-Sahaba bi Athar RasulAllah pp. 17 Maktaka al-Qahira Publications, Cairo. 1997).
Hafiz Ather Hussain al-Azhari
By Sidi Talib Ul Ilm
Salat O Salam with the Blessed Hair of Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him: